What's a Scoutmaster's Corner?Well - this is space we are setting aside for our Scoutmaster to share his thoughts and musings with the troop. We ask him to share his thoughts every week at our Troop meeting during the Scoutmaster's minute, but sometimes he has thoughts that take longer than "a minute" to share. When this happens we "encourage" him to write them down here rather than tie up our Troop meeting!
What is a ScoutmasterJob Description:
The Scoutmaster is the adult leader responsible for the image and program of the troop. The Scoutmaster works directly with the Scouts. The importance of the Scoutmaster's job is reflected in the fact that the quality of guidance will affect every youth and adult involved in the troop.
- Train and guide junior leaders
- Use the Methods of Scouting to achieve the Aims of Scouting
- Work with responsible adults to bring Scouting to boys
- Meet regularly with the Patrol Leaders' Council (PLC) for training and coordination in planning troop activities
- Attend all troop meetings or when necessary arrange for a qualified adult substitute
- Attend troop committee meetings
- Conduct periodic parent meetings to share the program and encourage parent participation and cooperation
- Take part in annual membership inventory and uniform inspection, charter review meeting, and charter presentation, and annual troop budget planning
- Conduct Scoutmaster conferences for all rank advancements
- Provide a systematic recruiting plan for new members and see that they are promptly registered
- Delegate responsibility to other adults and groups (assistants, troop committee) so that they have a real part in troop operations
- Supervise troop elections
- Make it possible for each Scout to experience at least 10 days and nights of camping each year
- Participate in Council and District events
- Build a strong program by using proven methods presented in Scouting literature
- Conduct all activities under qualified leadership, safe conditions, and policies of the chartered organization and the Boy Scouts of America
Scoutmasters VisionTroop 29 will be an organization that positively supports and nurtures young boys as they become young men, and young men as they become leaders. Leaders that will go on to be outstanding, productive, moral citizens in their communities. They will achieve this by learning to live the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives.
Troop 29 will accomplish this by providing an exciting "boy led" program that is inclusive to all boys. By giving our Scouts the opportunities to be challenged, both physically and mentally, to overcome their fears, to achieve their goals and to have experiences that other boys only dream about!